- Dr. Phil
- Natalia Grace Barnett, a Ukrainian orphan whose former adoptive parents say she is a mentally disturbed adult, sat down with Dr. Phil McGraw in an interview that aired on Thursday.
- Natalia, who has a rare form of dwarfism that makes it difficult to gauge her age, told McGraw that she is not the 30-year-old woman her former parents say she is. She says she’s a teenager.
- In September, the Barnetts were accused of legally changing Natalia’s age to from 8 to 22 in 2012, and moving to Canada without her. They have since been charged with neglect.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Natalia Grace Barnett, the Ukrainian orphan whose former adoptive parents say she is a grown woman posing as a child, defended herself in an interview with Dr. Phil McGraw that aired on Thursday.
“I just want them to give up on the whole charade. I just want this to be over. I want them to have their normal lives back, after this is all over and they did their time,” she told McGraw, according to the Courier Journal. “They should do the responsible thing, do their time, then get right with God.”
Natalia has a rare form of dwarfism that makes it difficult to gauge her age. She was initially thought to be between 6 and 8 years old when Michael and Kristine Barnett adopted her in 2010.
In September, the Barnetts were accused of legally changing Natalia’s age to from 8 to 22 in 2012, and moving to Canada without her. Prosecutors say she was a child at the time.
Michael and Kristine Barnett have since been charged with felony neglect of a dependent.
Natalia is now living with Antwon and Cynthia Mans, who believe she is a child.
The couple told McGraw that Natalia never displayed any psychotic behavior, and that the Barnetts likely couldn’t afford the healthcare costs for Natalia’s multiple surgeries.
- Read more:
- Dr. Phil says he doesn’t think the Ukrainian orphan accused of being an adult knows her own age
- The Ukrainian orphan at the center of an adoption scandal says she’s a teenager, and none of her adoptive parents’ claims are true
- A woman who claims she’s the Ukrainian orphan’s biological mom says the girl is a child
- A Ukrainian orphan at the center of an adoption scandal might be an adult. Here are 8 adults who were caught posing as children.