- Netflix was the most nominated network at this year’s Emmys with 112.
- It broke HBO’s 17-year streak, though HBO got 108 nominations.
- The chart below shows how many nominations Netflix has earned every year since 2012.
- The number has increased substantially every year.
Netflix finally dethroned reigning champ HBO in Emmys nominations this year.
This year’s nominations were announced on Thursday, and the streaming giant beat out the home of “Game of Thrones” and “Westworld,” which had been the most-nominated network for 17 straight years until now. Netflix had a total of 112 nominations, while HBO had 108. Last year, Netflix was close to breaking the streak, as it gained 91 nominations compared to HBO’s 111.
It wasn’t always a close race, though. Netflix has grown remarkably throughout the years toward its eventual Emmys domination, as it has aggressively beefed up its amount of original content. It’s even spending nearly $8 billion this year in an effort to have over 1,000 original shows and movies on its service by the end of the year.
In 2012, before Netflix entered the competition with “House of Cards” and “Orange is the New Black,” the network had 0 nominations. But, as the chart below shows, its number of nods has grown every year since.
In total, Netflix has been nominated 336 times at the Emmys and won 41 times. Its first Emmys were for “House of Cards” in 2013, and among them was a win for David Fincher for directing the first episode.
Netflix’s growth, and now dominance, can’t be ignored.
Check out the chart below to see how this year’s number of nominations compares to past years:
- Jenny Cheng/Business Insider
More on Emmys 2018:
- 2018 Emmy nominees have been announced, with Netflix and ‘Game of Thrones’ leading the pack
- The biggest Emmys snubs of 2018, from ‘The Terror’ to ‘The Good Place’
- Netflix broke HBO’s 17-year streak by earning the most Emmys nominations of any network
- Anthony Bourdain got 6 posthumous Emmy nominations for his CNN show ‘Parts Unknown’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ broke an Emmys record for nominations and could add to its wins record too