- VCG via Getty Images
- Alibaba just wrapped up its massive, 24-hour shopping event Singles Day on Monday, earning more than $38.3 billion in total and soaring past comparable US shopping events like Amazon Prime Day, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday.
- Other companies are launching deals that appear to be capitalizing on China’s biggest shopping holiday of the year.
- Nike, J.Crew, Coach, Uniqlo, Old Navy, and others all launched sales on Monday – or 11/11 – that seem to be referencing Alibaba’s big shopping event.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba just wrapped up Singles Day, and it was bigger than ever. The massive global shopping event kicked off on Monday in China and racked up $13 billion in sales in the first hour and more than $38.3 billion in total.
This total surpassed Amazon’s estimated sales during its own shopping holiday, Prime Day, in July. Though Amazon doesn’t disclose its Prime Day sales, Internet Retailer estimated that Amazon raked in $7.16 billion globally during the 48-hour period between July 15 and July 16.
Singles Day happens every year on November 11, or 11/11.
Though some of the sales are specifically labeled as Singles Day sales, others just allude to the date and seem like a calculated effort to capitalize on one of the largest shopping events in the world.
From 50% off sales items at J.Crew to 50% off hoodies at Old Navy, here are the deals retailers launched to compete with Singles Day.
J.Crew announced a flash sale for 11/11 with an extra 50% off sales items and 30% off online purchases with the code “FLASH.”
- J. Crew
Source: J. Crew
American Apparel launched a Singles Week sale that includes 50% off online items with the code “SINGLES50.”
- American Apparel via email
Source: American Apparel
Coach is offering 11% off on 11/11 with the code “SAVE11” at checkout.
- An email sent by coach
Uniqlo is offering the chance to save up to $50 on 11/11 and free shipping for orders over $60.
Victoria’s Secret’s Pink is offering 50% off select Sherpa and Teddy tops online and in stores.
Source: Victoria’s Secret
Nike is offering 20% off certain items with the code “SINGLES” at checkout until 11/11 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Old Navy is offering 50% off all sweatshirts and hoodies in stores and online.
- Old Navy
Source: Old Navy