- Tristar Media / Getty Images
- Nikkie de Jager, the 25-year-old behind the wildly popular YouTube channel NikkieTutorials, came out as a transgender woman in an emotional video addressed to her audience of 12 million.
- But while the beauty guru said she always intended to come out, she had wanted to do so on her own terms – and that opportunity was taken from her.
- De Jager says she was blackmailed by people who knew she was transgender and wanted to sell her story to the media. She didn’t provide any details about who those people may be.
- “I know you are watching this,” de Jager said. “They said they wanted to leak it because I’m lying […] or because they feel like I’m too scared for people to know who I truly am. I’m not scared.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Nikkie de Jager opened her coming out video with a bittersweet twist – she had always planned on coming out as a transgender woman to her 12 million YouTube subscribers, but wanted to do so on her own terms.
That opportunity had been taken from de Jager, known online as the beauty guru NikkieTutorials, by people blackmailing her, she says. As de Jager went on to explain in the 17-minute video, she had grown up knowing she was a woman.
“Today, I am taking back my own power,” de Jager said. “I’ve been wanting to share this side of myself to all of you for so long, but I could never figure out the timing. And there always was going to be the day where I would tell you. I did not expect this day to be today, but here we are.”
De Jager said that she has been blackmailed by people who wanted to leak her transition story to the press. She said it was “vile,” “gross,” and “frightening” to know there were people willing to disrespect her identity.
“I know you are watching this,” de Jager said. “They said they wanted to leak it because I’m lying or that I don’t want to tell my truth or because they feel like I’m too scared for people to know who I truly am. I’m not scared.”
Since she began living as a girl in her youth, de Jager said her classmates and teachers knew she was transgender. She also said she told close friends throughout her life and told her now-fiancé after they started dating.
By the age of 6, de Jager says she grew her hair out, and was wearing girl’s clothes by age 7 or 8. By the time she was 14, de Jager had started taking hormones and “growth stoppers” to prevent her from growing even taller (she is already 6′ 2”). She grew up in and continues to live in the Netherlands.
By the time she transitioned, which de Jager says happened by age 19, she had already started making the makeup YouTube videos that would skyrocket her to becoming one of the platform’s biggest beauty gurus.
De Jager didn’t immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
- Read more:
- Jeffree Star slammed social media rumors that his now ex-boyfriend Nathan Schwandt left him for a woman
- Inside the life of NikkieTutorials, a beauty YouTuber who just came out as transgender in a new video
- Tana Mongeau wished Noah Cyrus happy birthday with a flirty Instagram post, but she got her age wrong in the caption
- Jake Paul said he ‘fell out of love’ with his wife Tana Mongeau and ‘in love’ with boxing