- Photo by Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images for Marc Jacobs
- Nikkie de Jager, the beauty YouTuber who goes by NikkieTutorials online, came out as a transgender woman in a new video.
- She said that she wanted to come out on her own terms but that the opportunity was taken from her, adding that people had been blackmailing her and threatening to share her story with news outlets.
- Instead, de Jager shared an empowering message about self-love and acceptance with her more than 12 million YouTube subscribers.
- “Growing up, I think the No. 1 thing I’m the most thankful for is my mom – love you, Mom – because she has been there for me since day one,” said de Jager, who is Dutch and lives in the Netherlands.
- NikkieTutorials, one of the most-subscribed-to beauty YouTube channels, became well known for de Jager’s makeup tutorials and collaborations with brands like Too Faced.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
One of the most popular beauty YouTubers finally shared her truth with her fans on Monday. Nikkie de Jager, known online as NikkieTutorials, announced she was a transgender woman in a coming-out video.
De Jager, a Dutch YouTuber in the Netherlands, shared her transition story for the first time with her more than 12 million YouTube subscribers. She thanked her mother for being her biggest supporter and said her makeup channel started as she was completing her transition.
“Growing up, I think the No. 1 thing I’m the most thankful for is my mom – love you, Mom – because she has been there for me since day one,” de Jager said.
She also said that she had been blackmailed by people who wanted to leak her story to news outlets, adding that she was coming out because the opportunity to do so on her own terms had been taken away from her.
De Jager said that she knew she was a girl ever since she was a child and that she had grown her hair out and started identifying as a girl by the age of 6.
“Some kids got it, and other kids in my class did not, which is fine,” de Jager said. “But I will always be so thankful for all the teachers at that school who supported my journey and supported me.”
She said that she started hormones by the time she was 14 and used “growth stoppers” that prevented her from becoming taller. She added that she fully transitioned by age 19, after she started making YouTube videos.
De Jager also said that she shared her transition story with her fiancé, Dylan, and that the two were working through the situation privately; the couple has kept their relationship largely private and off social media.
“I am me. I am still Nikkie. Nothing changes about that,” de Jager said. “The last thing I want in my life is for you to not trust me anymore, or to look at me with different eyes, or look at me in a different manner, or think that I have changed.”
She added: “This feels liberating and freeing, but I, at the end of the day, am still Nikkie.”
- Read more:
- Jeffree Star slammed social media rumors that his now ex-boyfriend Nathan Schwandt left him for a woman
- Inside the life of NikkieTutorials, a beauty YouTuber who just came out as transgender in a new video
- YouTuber David Dobrik surprised fans with Justin Bieber and one of them said his new single was ‘not that good’ without realizing the singer was in the car with him
- Tana Mongeau wished Noah Cyrus happy birthday with a flirty Instagram post, but she got her age wrong in the caption