- Nintendo has a new Switch accessory that offers a major convenience for many Switch owners.
- The portable charging stand allows you to charge the Switch while playing games in tabletop mode.
- Currently, you can’t easily charge the Nintendo Switch while the kickstand is down: The charging cable gets in the way.
- For just $20, it’s a steal.
Nintendo’s making a new accessory for its wildly popular Switch console that looks tremendously useful – and it’s just $20.
As you can see above, the adjustable charging stand adds the ability to play games while the Switch itself is charging.
Here’s a look at the standard dock for comparison:
The standard Nintendo Switch dock is intended as a means of charging the console while playing games on a television. It isn’t intended as a means of charging the console while in use – you can plug in the Switch to charge it while being used, but the plug is on the bottom of the console.
It’s more than a little cumbersome when the console is held like a handheld, and outright impossible to use if you want to prop up the Switch on its stand and play it as a standalone console.
- Ben Gilbert / Business Insider
Since the plug is on the bottom of the Switch, it’s literally impossible to prop it up on the stand while being charged.
The $20 adjustable stand fixes that issue by enabling the Switch to be charged while used as a standalone game console – no TV required.
To be all the way clear: No, this isn’t a stand-in for the dock your Switch came with. There’s no way to use the adjustable charging stand as a means of playing the Switch on a TV, so this isn’t a replacement for the dock. But if you’re looking for an easy way to play games on your Switch in tabletop mode for longer than a few hours, this is the solution.
Nintendo plans to release the Switch adjustable charging stand on July 13 for just $20.