- Facebook/Digital Globe
- Newly released satellite images show Notre-Dame Cathedral before and after Monday’s fire, which destroyed much fo the 800-year-old church’s roof.
- French President Emmanuel Macron pledged to rebuild Notre-Dame, saying he hoped to get the job done in five years.
- Already, $1 billion has been raised from people around the world to rebuild the cathedral.
Satellite images show just how badly Notre-Dame Cathedral was damaged after Monday’s fire.
On Wednesday, DigitalGlobe, a company that produces space imagery, released the satellite images (shown above), showing Notre-Dame back in September 2018, and two days after the fire.
The after image shows the 800-year-old cathedral’s lead roof completely gone, leaving the inner sanctum exposed. Much of the stone is charred black by the blaze that burned for hours.
The aerial images below show the damage from a closer angle.
How the cathedral looked before the fire:
The fire broke out Monday evening in the attic of the cathedral, an area known as “the forest” for the lattice of wood beams that made up the frame.
After the fire, it was revealed that officials had decided against installing sprinkler systems and firewalls in the attic that could have lessened the devastation, though many similar structures in Europe and the US have been retrofitted with such fire safety measures.
In an address on Tuesday, French President Emmanuel Macron pledged to rebuild Notre-Dame, saying he hoped to get the job done in five years.
Already, $1 billion has been raised from people around the world, including some of France’s richest men, to rebuild the cathedral.
- Read more:
- France no longer has trees tall enough to rebuild Notre-Dame’s roof as it was
- Notre-Dame rebuilding efforts inspired people to donate $1.9 million to help reconstruct 3 historically black churches that were intentionally burned down in Louisiana
- Air France is providing free flights for people helping to rebuild Notre-Dame
- Ted Cruz was blasted after joking about Disney’s Notre Dame donation