- The new logo for the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics was unveiled on Monday.
- The logo contains an optical illusion, showing an Olympic flame, a gold medal, and Marianne – the symbol of the French Republic.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The new logo for the Paris 2024 Summer Olympics was unveiled on Tuesday, and it features an optical illusion.
Three things can be seen in the logo – a gold medal, an Olympic flame, and the face of Marianne – the symbol of the French Republic.
“The combination of the gold medal, the Olympic flame,and Marianne brings together the values, history, and French touch that will make these Olympic Games truly special,” said Pierre-Olivier Beckers-Vieujant, chair of the International Olympic Committee Coordination Commission, according to the BBC.
He added: “I believe that this innovative design will be quickly recognized around the world and be a wonderful calling card for the Olympic Games Paris 2024.”
Marianne is not only supposed to be a representation of France, but of all women playing in the games, and a reference to the fact that the Paris games of 1900 were the first ones in which women were allowed to participate.
Public reaction to the new logo was mixed, with some making fun of Marianne’s short hairstyle or the flame’s similarity to dating app Tinder’s logo.
— le papa de rachel (@m_a_ny) October 21, 2019
— Colin Shanks (@colin_shanks) October 21, 2019
— salomon tardman (@SalomonTardman) October 21, 2019
The logo also includes an Art Deco font, which is a nod to the last time that the city hosted the games, in 1924.
- Read more:
- Simone Biles is the most dominant athlete on the planet, and now she’s primed to become the most accomplished Olympian of all time
- Tennis giant Naomi Osaka is relinquishing her American citizenship so she can play for Japan in the 2020 Olympics
- Viral UCLA gymnast Katelyn Ohashi struggled with eating disorders throughout her career. Now she’s become a champion of self-acceptance.
- The 2020 Tokyo Olympics is less than 1 year away – Here are 13 athletes to watch for breakout performances