- Pflugerville Library/Facebook
- A library in Pflugerville, Texas, had to clarify the nature of its anti-prom event after an ad in a newspaper implied that there would be snakes among the stacks of books, as BuzzFeed News first reported.
- “There was a typo in a local paper that said we will have snakes. We will have snacks. Snacks is what we will have,” the library’s Facebook post said.
- People were disappointed.
- However, in May, the library will be having an event with snakes.
- That should restore peace.
- Visit INSIDER.com for more stories.
A library in Pflugerville, Texas, will be hosting an anti-prom event on Friday. But ahead of the festivities, the library had to issue a correction after a misprint in a local newspaper said that there would be snakes at the event, BuzzFeed News first reported.
The ad in the Community Impact Newspaper mistakenly said that “there will be a DJ, snakes, and a photo booth” at the event.
Rose Cobb, the library’s marketing specialist, told BuzzFeed News that they had received so many questions about the snakes that they felt they had to make an official statement.
“There will be no snakes at this Friday’s Anti-Prom at the library,” a clarifying Facebook post said. “There was a typo in a local paper that said we will have snakes. We will have snacks. Snacks is what we will have.”
Jennifer Coffey, the library’s director, told BuzzFeed News that the typo, which was a pure accident, turned out to be a good thing. She’s grateful the situation has been able to “draw attention to all of the things libraries do, dispel stereotypes about libraries, and make people laugh.”
People love snakes. And people love libraries. In a perfect content storm, the correction went viral on Twitter.
We don’t deserve librarians. pic.twitter.com/tBcwBy984F
— FlatFootFox ????️???? (@FlatFootFox) April 9, 2019
It really circulated.
Librarians are my favorite people. https://t.co/ptFq5y1Y7z
— Yesenia Sotelo (@silverbell) April 10, 2019
If there aren't snakes at Anti Prom, I'm not going https://t.co/bRg8y8TKuS
— taenia (@taenia) April 10, 2019
Best correction EVER. https://t.co/8AgKkIFRx3
— Amy Boese (@libraria) April 10, 2019
Possibly the best thing on the Internet today. https://t.co/8XBELeVA1S
— Dr. Jennifer L. Hoffman ✨ (@astroprofhoff) April 10, 2019
And the library is really leaning into the joke. Librarians updated the teen book display with what appears to be a certain theme in mind.
We updated our Teen Space book display. #WhenYouSeeIt#nosnakes #yessnakes #soundslikesomethingasnakewouldsay #antiprom #teenspace #bookrecommendations #reading #read #books #bookdisplay #library pic.twitter.com/ywe3k6TSjd
— Pflugerville Library (@PflugervilleLib) April 10, 2019
Plus, there’s good news for snake fans. On May 22, the Pflugerville Library will be having a snake-related event. It’s just a sheer coincidence.
“Not to say we have anything against snakes,” the library said in the Facebook post. “In fact, snakes will be at the library in May during the Teen De-Stressing Day: Reptile Hangout.”
The post continued: “So, just to summarize: April 12. No snakes. ???? ❌ May 22. Yes snakes. ???? ✔️”
Cobb told BuzzFeed News that going viral has been fun for the library staff, but she hopes that this will also highlight Friday’s anti-prom – and the overall concept of the event.
“The idea is to create a safe inclusive space without the pressures of a traditional prom,” Cobb said. “Anti-Prom is a safe space for you to dance – or not – the night away, no matter your sexuality, gender identity, beliefs, or any other reason.”
Don’t forget: snacks will be provided – just bring your own snake.
- Read more:
- A 17-foot-long python was found in Florida
- A woman discovered an Australian python had slipped into her shoe and traveled 9,000 miles with her
- A rat defeated a rattlesnake with a soaring ‘ninja-style’ kick to the head
- A woman was bit by a 5-foot python that had been hiding in a toilet, and it’s truly the stuff of nightmares