- Chris Jackson/Getty Images
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s names have officially been removed from the charity they shared with Prince William and Kate Middleton.
- Although the couple announced their resignation from The Royal Foundation in June, they previously said in a statement that they would continue to work on projects with William and Middleton, such as their mental health campaign, Heads Together, which is run by the foundation.
- However, just two months after the statement was released, William and Middleton have filed for a name change.
- It will now be known solely as “The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.”
- Meanwhile, Markle and Harry have registered a new charity, “Sussex Royal.”
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced their resignation from The Royal Foundation, the organization they spearheaded with William and Kate Middleton, back in June.
A statement released at the time announced that they would still play an active role in certain projects run by the charity, including their mental health campaign, Heads Together.
Nonetheless, a Companies House document dated August 14 – just two months after the statement was released – shows William and Middleton filed for a change of name.
- Companies House
Now, the charity will be known solely as “The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge” rather than “The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
The charity was originally named “The Royal Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry” upon its creation in 2009, before adding the Duchess of Cambridge’s name in 2012 and subsequently the Duchess of Sussex’s name in 2018.
The “Fab Four” only ran the charity together for a year before Harry and Markle resigned. In that time, however, they made some milestone achievements, including the creation of their own mental health service helpline, Shout.
Harry and Markle have since announced plans to start their own charity, “Sussex Royal The Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
No further information has been released about the charity since it was officially registered in June, however royal watchers believe it could have a focus on environmentalism, as this is what the couple have chosen to highlight in their social media posts.
“The focus on the environment and community will undoubtedly lead to highly publicized campaigns,” royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told Insider.
“The former is undoubtedly inspired by the Prince of Wales’s campaigning which began in 1968,” he added.
“The focus on community will undoubtedly have an emphasis on young people and also on gender equality. Meghan has been active in this field since her protest against a sexist advertisement when she was 11.”