- Chris Allerton/ Max Mumby/ Indigo/ Getty Images.
- Royal baby Archie Harrison was christened at a private ceremony at Windsor Castle on Saturday.
- Although Prince Harry and Meghan Markle previously stated their intention of keeping the identity of their son’s godparents “private,” The Sunday Times has named one as Harry’s childhood friend, Charlie van Straubenzee.
- Van Straubenzee attended Ludgrove Prep School with both Prince Harry and Prince William.
- His brother, Thomas, is godparent to William’s daughter, Princess Charlotte.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle celebrated the christening of their son, Archie Harrison, at Windsor Castle on Saturday.
Unlike previous royal christenings, where the media and members of the public have been invited to celebrate outside the chapel, Markle and Harry decided to keep the details of Archie’s ceremony – including the identity of his godparents – secret.
“The godparents, in keeping with their wishes, will remain private,” a spokesperson for the couple announced last week.
However, according to The Sunday Times royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah, one of Archie’s godparents is Charlie van Straubenzee, a former school friend of the prince.
“The Sunday Times can reveal that one of Archie’s godfathers is Charlie van Straubenzee, a friend from Harry’s school days, who gave a speech at the Sussexes’ wedding teasing Harry for being ‘a ginger,'” wrote Nikkhah.
- Chris Allerton/ Getty Images
Van Straubenzee did not appear in any of the official christening photos released by the palace.
It was previously revealed by royal commentator Richard Palmer that the duke and duchess were “in breach of a legal requirement to make the names of Archie’s godparents available to the public.”
“Details of christenings, including the names of godparents, are normally recorded in parish registers available for inspection on request. It had initially looked like private chapels such as the one at Windsor Castle were not covered by the requirement. In fact, they are,” Palmer wrote in a Twitter post.
“But christenings of royal babies are recorded in a special royal register held privately by the Queen.
“Normally this wouldn’t matter so much because the palace would announce the names of the godparents. On this occasion, however, Harry and Meghan are breaking with precedent,” he added.
Although Buckingham Palace is yet to comment on The Sunday Times’ claim, van Straubenzee wouldn’t be a surprising choice.
Not only did Harry and Markle attend van Straubenzee’s wedding to Daisy Jenks in 2018, but there were also rumors that Harry served as best man, according to The Sun.
Harry and William, who have been friends with van Straubenzee since their days at Ludgrove Prep School in Berkshire, England, are also close friends with his brother, Thomas van Straubenzee.
Thomas was even named godparent to William’s daughter, Princess Charlotte, as noted on the royal family’s official website.
INSIDER has contacted Buckingham Palace for comment.