- VALERIE MACON/AFP/Getty Image
- Regina King won the 2019 Golden Globe for best supporting actress for “If Beale Street Could Talk.”
- In her speech, the actress addressed people who criticize celebrities for speaking about social issues.
- She also urged people in power to make a conscious effort to hire a staff with at least 50% women, a pledge she is making on anything she produces.
Regina King addressed people who criticize celebrities for speaking about equality during a speech at the 2019 Golden Globes Sunday at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills.
While accepting the Golden Globe award for best supporting actress for “If Beale Street Could Talk,” the star spoke about using her platform to help change the industry.
“The reason why we do this is is because we understand our microphones are big, and we are speaking for everyone,” she said.
She also used her platform to urge people in Hollywood and other industries to make a conscious effort to hire more women as part of the Time’s Up, Times Two movement, which marks the second year of the Time’s Up movement. One of the goals of the movement is to double the number of women in positions where they are underrepresented.
“I just want to say that I am going to use my platform right now to say in the next two years everything that I produce… I’m making a vow … to make sure that everything I produce is 50% women,” King said.
She added: “I just challenge anyone out there who is in a position of power, not just in our industry but all industries, I challenge you to challenge yourselves and stand with us in solidarity and do the same.”
Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more.
- Read more:
- All the looks celebrities wore to the 2019 Golden Globe Awards
- All of the 2019 Golden Globes winners
- ‘Riverdale’ star Lili Reinhart wore a see-through red dress to the Golden Globes and people are obsessed with her look
- E! accidentally listed ‘The Good Place’s’ Jameela Jamil as her character’s sister during its red carpet feed