- Singles’ Day, which takes place on November 11, is a retail holiday created by Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba. It is the Chinese equivalent of Black Friday.
- Last year, the single shopping event generated more than $30.8 billion in sales in one day.
- Not many online retailers in the US are participating in it yet. We rounded up the best Singles’ Day sales below. Some of these sales are marketed as Veterans Day sales as Veterans Day also falls on November 11.
If you thought Black Friday was an extravagant enough event, wait until you hear about Singles’ Day.
What is Alibaba’s Singles’ Day?
The unofficial Chinese holiday of guanggun jie (“bare sticks holiday”) or shuang shiyi (“double 11”) started in the ’90s as a celebration of singledom. In 2009, Alibaba, the company that owns the two largest e-commerce websites in the world, Taobao and Tmall, repackaged the day into a discount shopping event, encouraging singles to treat themselves.
Is Singles’ Day bigger than Black Friday?
Chinese shoppers didn’t need to be told twice. The holiday quickly picked up steam and is only getting bigger, especially as more overseas vendors enter the fray to capitalize on the clicks of the world’s largest deals-hungry population. This year, Singles’ Day sales surpassed $13 billion in the first hour. Total sales for the day reached a record $30.8 billion in 2018. US Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales, which totaled a little over $6.2 billion and $7.9 billion in 2018, respectively, seem measly in comparison.
While Alibaba now calls it the 11:11 Global Shopping Festival, Singles’ Day has yet to reach a truly global audience. Here in the US, a small number of retailers are just starting to join in with Singles’ Day-specific deals.
With the more popular Black Friday deals and Cyber Monday deals looming ahead, Singles’ Day deals from online retailers may slip under the radar, but if you care about savings, you shouldn’t pass them up. We predict it won’t be long before Singles’ Day gains more traction in the US and helps turn the entire month of November into the best time of the year to shop for yourself and your loved ones.
The best Singles’ Day deals of 2019, live now through November 11:
- Amazon Prime: current and former members of US armed forces can sign up for a year of Prime membership for just $79 ($40 in savings)
- Alo Yoga: 30% off full-price items with code SINGLESDAY19
- AUrate jewelry: 22% off your order with code SINGLESDAY22
- Bed Bath & Beyond: free shipping and up to 40% off your order over $39
- Bombas socks: 20% off sitewide for all new customers with code BOMBAS20
- Brooklinen sheets: 15% off sitewide with code SURPRISE15
- Casper mattress: 10% off any order with a mattress with code COZY10
- Club Monaco: 11% off your order with code 1111 on November 11 only
- Cosabella lingerie: 11% off sitewide with code SINGLES11
- Gravity weighted blanket: 25% off sitewide with code HOLIDAY2019
- GREATS sneakers: 20% off sitewide with code SINGLES2019 through November 12 at 9 a.m. EST
- Happy Socks: free shipping and 30% off
- Incase backpacks and tech accessories: 15% off sitewide with code INCS15AFF
- Leesa mattress: 15% off sitewide
- Mackage outerwear: 11% off your order with code “1111” on November 11 only
- Naadam cashmere: 30% off your order with code ELEVEN11 on November 11 only
- Need Supply Co.: 11% off sitewide through November 12
- Nordstrom: up to 40% off brands like Vince Camuto, Cole Haan, and Halogen through November 17
- OXO Good Grips: 20% off glass food storage and bakeware through December 8
- rag & bone: 20% off one full-price item with code SINGLES20 on November 11 only
- Ralph Lauren: 11% off your order and an extra 30% off sale styles through November 12
- SmartWool socks: 11.11% off your order with code TREATYOURSELF
- Soothe at-home massage: $10 off your massage booking with code SOOTHE10
- Tushy bidet: free shipping all month with code FLYTURKEY
- Urban Outfitters: 11% off your order on November 11 only
- Verishop: 25% off sitewide on November 11 only
- Williams Sonoma: free shipping and 20% off your order with code FRIENDS through November 13