- Lino Mirgeler/Getty Images
- A 5-foot-long snake slithered into a Medford, Massachusetts, home.
- It bit a 9-month-old child.
- Jenna Lees-Rolfe, the mom, told 7News her son James was “totally unfazed.”
- But she remains “in shock.”
- She had to wrestle the animal, which was not poisonous, out of her home.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Jenna Lees-Rolfe was having a quiet morning at home in Medford, Massachusetts, preparing breakfast for her family, when things took a terrifying turn. As if from out of the blue, a 5-foot-long snake slithered out from under her fridge and bit her 9-month-old son, James, according to the Boston Globe.
“I saw a 5-foot-long snake right there next to him and I screamed,” Lees-Rolfe told CBS Boston.
She watched in horror as the snake bit her son in the leg. But she told 7News that he remained “totally unfazed” and not scared at all.
“I’m still in shock,” Lees-Rolfe told 7NEWS. “The snake was in my house next to my 9-month-old. That was the most shocking thing to me.”
After getting James into a separate, safe room, she had to get the animal out. Lees-Rolfe wrestled with the animal, ultimately trapping it into a trash can and removing it from the house.
Later, Lees-Rolfe had a friend who is a doctor look at the bite mark on James. The boy was deemed OK.
“He has no signs of any kind of poison his bite had zero inflammation,” Lees-Rolfe told CBS.
For most of her life, Lees-Rolfe lived in Australia, which is known for its pesky snake population, but says she never encountered the animal there.
“The irony is just really funny at the end of the day,” she told CBS.
After this, the family plans to buy reptile and rodent repellent.
The snake was likely a non-poisonous milk snake, experts told the family. It likely ended up under the fridge by entering the home’s garage and slithering through the pipes, according to CBS.
That’s, uh, totally fine.
- Read more:
- A snake struggled to escape from an alligator’s jaw – and the pictures are amazing
- An 18-foot-long snake escaped captivity and climbed onto a roof, scaring neighbors
- A Texas homeowner thought he needed help removing a ‘few’ rattlesnakes from his home. Professionals found 45.
- A woman discovered an Australian python had slipped into her shoe and traveled 9,000 miles with her