Home Tags Infection

Tag: Infection

A woman (not the one pictured) died after using non-sterile water to clean out her sinuses, doctors say.

Here’s why you should never use tap water with your neti pot

Using a neti pot with tap water may be dangerous or deadly if the water is contaminated. Experts recommend distilled or boiled and cooled water.
A microscopic view of adenovirus.

A freshman at the University of Maryland died after getting adenovirus — here’s what to know about the common illness

There have been nine cases of adenovirus-associated illness at the University of Maryland, including one case that resulted in student's death.
EDs aren't just mental illnesses — they can have wide-ranging physical effects.

11 children have died after a virus outbreak in New Jersey — here’s what to know about the illness

11 children have died after an outbreak of adenovirus infected patients at a medical facility, according to health officials in New Jersey.

Drinking more water helps women prevent repeat UTIs, a new study says

A new study found that women got fewer cases of repeat urinary tract infections (UTIs) when they drank an extra one and half quarts of water every day for a year. Women can also prevent UTIs with habits like peeing before and after sex, wearing breathable underwear, and wiping front to back.
Frabrizio Stabile

A New Jersey surfer died from a brain-eating amoeba days after visiting a wave pool in Texas

Fabrizio Stabile of Ventor, New Jersey, swam in the wave pool at BSR Cable Park’s Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, prior to testing positive for Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that usually occurs in warm fresh water. He died on September 21.
Symptoms of monkeypox on patients' hands.

Three people in England have been diagnosed with monkeypox — here’s what to know about the illness

Three people in England have been diagnosed with monkeypox, according to health officials. Monkeypox is a rare viral illness that is primarily transmitted from animals to humans. Experts say it doesn't spread easily among humans, and most cases are mild and clear up on their own within a few weeks.

A Wisconsin man had to have his hands and legs amputated because of a bacterial infection he got after being licked by a dog — here’s what...

Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats carry the bacteria that can cause these infections, but in most cases, people only get infected after being bitten. Still, 30% of people who get infected die, which is why it's essential to see a doctor if you are bitten by an animal.
24 cases of hepatitis A have been linked to a recalled frozen pomegranate product.

An Australian woman has been killed by a pomegranate contaminated with hepatitis A

The Australian-owned Creative Gourmet product she was eating had been recalled two months ago. However, symptoms of hepatitis A can take between 15 and 50 days to become apparent.

A ‘blister’ on a Houston day-care teacher’s foot turned out to be flesh-eating disease— here’s what to know about the co...

The bacterial infection in Reyes' foot turned out to be necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease. These infections cause soft tissue to die.
Abby Beckley, 28, of Oregon, was the first known case of human infected with "Thelazia gulosa", a cattle eye-worm species.

A woman found 14 worms hiding in her eye after it got red and scratchy — showing that a new species is capable of infecting humans

An Oregon woman found 14 Thelazia gulosa worms in her eye. They can infect cattle, but this is the first known case in a human.