- Lucy Nicholson / Reuters
- Tesla is known for its high rate of executive turnover, and the past year has been no different.
- During a year in which the automaker faced production and delivery issues, investigations from the federal government, and questions about the decision-making of CEO Elon Musk, departures from senior employees have added yet another challenge.
- Cindy Nicola, Tesla’s vice president of global recruiting, is leaving the company, according to a source familiar with the matter.
Tesla has seen a lot of senior employees leave in the last year.
As the automaker has faced production and delivery issues, investigations from the federal government, and questions about the decision-making of CEO Elon Musk, departures from senior employees have added yet another challenge.
The outflow hasn’t stopped in the new year, either.
Cindy Nicola, Tesla’s vice president of global recruiting, is leaving the company, according to a source familiar with the matter.
A Tesla representative confirmed Nicola’s departure and said this week is her last at the automaker. The automaker did not say if Nicola would be replaced, but added that the recruiting department will continue to report to Kevin Kassekert, Tesla’s vice president of people and places.
“I’ve loved every minute of my nearly four years at Tesla, including working side by side with such an amazing team on the most important mission of my lifetime,” Nicola told Business Insider. “After 30 years in the talent and tech space, I’m looking forward to traveling the world with my husband and will continue to support the mission and root for Tesla from the sidelines.”
Nicola joined Tesla in May 2015 and had previously worked for Apple and Electronic Arts, according to her LinkedIn profile.
These are the key names who have left Tesla or have announced their departure in 2018 or so far in 2019, as well as when they left and where they went next (according to their LinkedIn profile or company announcements):
- January – Jason Mendez, director of manufacturing engineering: LinkedIn profile does not list next position
- January – Will McColl, manager of equipment engineering: founded WaveForm Design
- February – Jon McNeill, president of global sales and services: became COO of Lyft
- March – Eric Branderiz, chief accounting officer: became CFO of Enphase Energy
- March – Susan Repo, corporate treasurer and vice president of finance: became CFO of Topia (she left Topia in June, according to her LinkedIn page)
- April – Jim Keller, head of Autopilot hardware engineering: became head of silicon engineering at Intel
- April – Georg Ell, director of Western Europe operations: became CEO of Smoothwall
- May – Matthew Schwall, director of field performance engineering: became heady of field safety at Waymo
- July – Ganesh Srivats, vice president overseeing retail, delivery, and marketing: became CEO of Moda Operandi
- September – Sarah O’Brien, vice president of communications: became VP of executive communications at Facebook
- September – Gabrielle Toledano, chief people officer: became executive in residence at Comcast Ventures
- September – Dave Morton, chief accounting officer: became CFO of Anaplan
- September – Liam O’Connor, vice president of global supply management: LinkedIn profile does not list next position
- September – Antoin Abou-Haydar, senior director of production and quality: became vice president of global quality for Byton
- October – Justin McAnear, vice president of worldwide finance and operations: became CFO of 10X Genomics
- November – Phil Rothenberg, vice president in the legal department: became general counsel of Sonder
- November – Jeff Jones, head of global security: LinkedIn profile does not list next position
- November – Dan Kim, senior director of global sales, marketing, and delivery: became director of Airbnb Plus at Airbnb
- December – Aaron Chew, director of investor relations: LinkedIn profile does not list next position
- January 2019 – Todd Maron, general counsel: LinkedIn profile does not list next position
- January 2019 – Charles Mwangi, senior director of engineering: LinkedIn profile says he is working at an unamed startup
- February 2019 – Cindy Nicola, vice president of global recruiting: LinkedIn profile does not list next position
- 2019 – Deepak Ahuja, CFO: Ahuja said he is retiring once he leaves Tesla
Have a Tesla news tip? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.