Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Tuesday.
1. Three people were injured by an explosive device in a New York subway station. The device exploded prematurely on Monday morning, and officials have said the suspect was influenced by ISIS propaganda.
2. The suspect was possibly also motivated by Israeli action in Gaza. Israel has recently launched airstrikes into Gaza, angering many and leading to protests.
3. The Pentagon will defy Trump and allow transgender troops in the military. In July, Trump announced he would reverse Obama’s policy of accepting transgender troops.
4. Russia’s military chief said North Korea is ready for direct talks with the US. He also warned the US and South Korea to stop provoking North Korea with military drills.
5. Some people have taken out mortgages to buy Bitcoin. The cryptocurrency has soared in recent days and people are finding ways to invest.
7.A no-deal Brexit could reportedly cost the UK economy $140 billion. A Brexit deal was reached last week but the EU council have yet to formally agree on the terms.
8. China is planning to build five camps for North Korean refugees. The plan could mark a shift in policy for China, as it previously sent defectors back to North Korea.
9. The Palestinian President met with his Egyptian counterpart to discuss Jerusalem. Egypt has been a key broker in past peace talks with Israel and between fighting Palestinian factions.
10. A former Facebook executive said he feels “tremendous guilt” for helping create the world’s largest social media site. Chamath Palihapitiya said social networks were “destroying how society works.”