- Reuters/Kevin Lamarque
Hello! Here’s everything you need to know on Friday, February 1.
1. President Donald Trump has described his presidency as ‘one of the great losers of all time.’ The former businessman likes the job well enough, but laments, “I lost massive amounts of money doing this.”
2. US border agents made their largest-ever fentanyl seizure in Arizona. They found 254 pounds (115 kg) of the deadly opioid, stashed in a truck crossing the border from Mexico, officials said.
3. The polar vortex smothering the US has killed at least 21 people. Wind chill factored temperatures have been recorded as low as minus-60 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Clash of the Titans: Round 1. Facebook has decided that Amazon’s ad business is now an official threat.
5. Trump is seeks to shift blame to the news media in a now entirely familiar strategy of ‘I said, They said.’ This time it’s because his intelligence chiefs explained he’s wrong about the many global threats facing the US.
6. Amazon’s cloud was a $25.65 billion business in 2018. Colossal cloud growth is one of the key reasons Amazon smashed Wall Street estimates for its last quarter.
7. Trump has come out and applauded Kamala Harris’ 2020 campaign launch. The president offered that it was the “best opening so far,” in an already crowded race.
8. The White House wants to ban an under-the-radar big pharma trick.It’s a little-known practice linked to the industry’s often ionospheric drug prices and its removal could lower the cost of some prescription drugs.
9. Senate Republicans have delivered a stern rebuke to Trump. The bloc have presented legislation that scuttles any plan to withdraw troops from Afghanistan, Syria.
10. Meet Blaise Kidasharira, a Burundian asylum-seeker who risked everything and made it to the US. Here he explains why he left everything behind to get to Canada.
And finally …