- REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY
Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. US President Donald Trump will meet with several world leaders in Davos. Trump will be the first US president to attend World Economic Forum in Davos in 20 years.
2. A major 7.9 earthquake in Alaska prompted Tsunami warnings. Thousands of Alaskans were forced to leave their homes.
3. US citizens are among the dozens of people killed in last weekend’s deadly attack at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul. At least 14 of those killed were foreign nationals, according to Afghan Interior Ministry Spokesman Najib Danish.
4. UK Prime Minister Theresa May is setting up a ‘fake news’ unit to fight Russian propaganda. May has previously accused Russia of waging a fake-news war against the West.
5. Thousands have fled the Philippines amid fears of an imminent volcanic eruption. Mount Mayon erupted last week and remained a threat this week.
7. The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact to be signed in March without the US. Eleven countries will sign the proposed Asia-Pacific trade deal.
8. A school shooting in a Kentucky high school left two students dead and 18 injured. Police say they took a 15-year-old male student into custody.
9. Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro announced he will run for re-election. Maduro is unpopular in his country dealing with an economic crisis and foreign sanctions.
10. Twitter lost its No. 2 executive, Anthony Noto, who will become CEO of a fintech startup. Noto was credited for designing Twitter’s most recent strategy to drive growth: its expansion into video.
And finally …