Hello! Here’s what’s happening on Wednesday.
1. North Korea launched its highest-flying missile to date toward Japan’s coast. Experts say the intercontinental ballistic missile has the potential to reach anywhere in the continental US.
2. The US requested an emergency UN meeting regarding the missile launch. North Korea has said the US is its only nuclear target, despite putting its launches on hold for 74 days.
3. Britain reportedly reached a divorce bill deal with the EU. Britain could end up paying around €50 billion ($66 billion) as it leaves the EU.
4.Bitcoin hit an all-time high of $10,000, in some exchanges. The value of the cryptocurrency has increased by 875% so far this year.
5. Uber had a unit dedicated to stealing trade secrets. The report by an ex-staffer came out at a trade-theft trial between Uber and Alphabet’s autonomous vehicle unit, Waymo.
6. The UK questioned Google on whether Russia used its platform to influence Brexit voters. The UK Electoral Commission is already probing Facebook and Twitter.
7. Israel employed its Iron Dome missile-defense system on a ship for the first time. The system protects against short-range rockets, and intercepted hundreds of projectiles fired by the Islamic militant group Hamas in 2014.
8. One of Saudi Arabia’s most powerful princes has been released. He was imprisoned as part of an anti-corruption crackdown orchestrated by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
10. The Australian senate passed a bill in favor of same-sex marriage. The Australian public voted in favor of same-sex marriage earlier this month, and the new bill looks set to pass the lower house before the end of the year.