- Restaurant Business magazine ranks the highest-grossing independent restaurants each year. This year’s top 10 featured many of the same names as last year. Each was able to bring in over $20 million in gross food and beverage sales.
Independent restaurants are on the rise as customers are increasingly turning away from national chains. Still, it’s difficult to run a restaurant without the benefit of a recognizable brand, which makes it all the more impressive that some independent restaurants are able to bring in tens of millions of dollars in sales each year.
These are the 10 highest-grossing independent restaurants, according to Restaurant Business magazine. All stats are for 2017, and only restaurants with five or fewer locations were considered.
10. Gibsons Bar and Steakhouse — Chicago, Illinois
- Facebook/Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse
The Chicago institution is the only steakhouse in the country to receive a USDA Prime Certification for the beef it sources in-house.
Average Check: $75
Meals Served: 363,301
9. Bryant Park Grill & Cafe — New York, New York
- Facebook/Bryant Park Grill
Located behind the New York Public Library, Bryant Park Grill & Cafe has been called “a gorgeous pavilion” by The New York Times.
Average Check: $50 (Restaurant Business Magazine estimate)
Meals Served: 420,000
8. Smith & Wollensky — New York, New York
- Dennis Green/Business Insider
Average Check: $100
Meals Served: 296,723
7. Lavo New York — New York, New York
- Tracy Chung for Business Insider
This Italian restaurant doubles as an exclusive nightclub.
Average Check: $85
Meals Served: 200,000
6. The Boathouse Orlando — Orlando, Florida
- Facebook/The Boathouse
Aside from fresh seafood, the restaurant also offers tours of Disney Springs via boats designed to look like classic cars.
Average Check: $43
Meals Served: 643,829
5. Old Ebbitt Grill — Washington, DC
- Facebook/Old Ebbitt Grill
One of only two restaurants to break the one-million mark, Old Ebbitt Grill served more meals than any other restaurant on Restaurant Business’ list.
Average Check: $39
Meals Served: 1,072,293
4. Carmine’s — New York, New York
The Italian restaurant now delivers its famous dishes.
Average Check: $33
Meals Served: 396,871
3. Tao Downtown — New York, New York
- Facebook/TAO Downtown
Despite its impressive revenue numbers, Tao Downtown has received less impressive reviews.
Average Check: $95
Meals Served: 311,945
2. Joe’s Stone Crab — Miami Beach, Florida
Barack Obama was reported to have had Joe’s Stone Crab delivered before a presidential debate in 2012.
Average Check: $80
Meals Served: 316,000
1. Tao Las Vegas — Las Vegas, NV
Tao Las Vegas topped this list for the fourth year in a row as the only independent restaurant to bring in over $40 million last year.