- Sean M. Haffey/Getty
- Clemson’s true-freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence had a breakout game that helped the Tigers beat Alabama in Monday night’s College Football Playoff championship.
- According to a report, Lawrence is obsessed with Chick-Fil-A and prepared for Alabama and Notre Dame in the playoffs by eating at Chick-Fil-A and watching film of those teams, a high-school tradition of his.
- Clemson seemed to give Lawrence’s tradition a nod after the game, getting Chick-Fil-A for a postgame meal.
Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence had his big breakout moment on Monday, helping the Tigers beats the Alabama Crimson Tide, 44-16, in the College Football Playoff championship.
Lawrence, a 19-year-old true freshman who took over as the starting quarterback early in the season, threw for 347 yards and three touchdowns, shredding a stout Alabama defense and outdueling the Heisman candidate Tua Tagovailoa.
Lawrence was a high-school star who set Georgia state records in passing yards and touchdowns, and he has only continued his trajectory to the college level. According to ESPN’s Ryan McGee, the fuel behind Lawrence’s stardom may be Chick-Fil-A.
According to McGee, when Lawrence was in high school, he was such a local celebrity that he would hide out in corner booths in Chick-Fil-A with his laptop to watch film on future opponents.
The tradition hasn’t changed. McGee reported that in preparation for Alabama and, before that, Notre Dame in the semifinal, Lawrence went to Chick-Fil-A and ate chicken sandwiches while watching film of his coming opponents. There is a Chick-Fil-A on Clemson’s campus, so Lawrence probably didn’t have to travel too far.
He must have a reputation with his teammates. After the game, wide receiver Hunter Renfrow joked to McGee about Lawrence’s demeanor: “Look at his face. You couldn’t tell if he’s just won the national championship or if he’s just headed down to Chick-Fil-A to eat. He’s ice, man.”
There was a treat for Lawrence after leading Clemson to the national title, too. According to McGee, Chick-Fil-A was the postgame meal.
- Read more:
- CLEMSON WINS: Here are the top plays and big moments from the championship game everybody will be talking about
- Twitter roasted Imagine Dragons during halftime of the College Football Playoff championship
- Clemson demolished Alabama in the college football championship in their third meeting in 4 years – and both teams were immediately favored to play again next year