President Donald Trump responded Monday to the mass shooting in Las Vegas that left at least 59 people dead and 527 injured by calling Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department sheriff Joseph Lombardo and offering his support and prayers.
Trump expressed similar sentiments to the country with a televised address on Monday where he condemned the shooting as an “act of pure evil” for which the country would mourn.
Earlier in the day Trump offered on Twitter his “warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families.”
“What a great pleasure to speak with our President @realDonaldTrump. Thank you for your phone call, your support and your prayers,” Lombardo tweeted.
The Las Vegas police have been responding to the situation non stop since shortly after 10 p.m. on Sunday night local time.
The White House press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said that Trump had been briefed on the shooting and that the White House was “monitoring the situation closely and offer our full support to state and local officials.” She added: “All of those affected are in our thoughts and prayers.”
The police have identified Stephen Paddock, 64, as the gunman who opened fire on concertgoers at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival at about 10 p.m. PDT on Sunday.
The police said they apprehended a woman identified as Paddock’s roommate, a 62-year-old named Marilou Danley, who was wanted for questioning. Paddock was initially thought to be killed by the police, but they later suggested he may have killed himself.
The police are not investigating the attack as an act of terrorism at this time. The shooting is the deadliest in modern US history, surpassing the massacre at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, last year in which an attacker killed 49 people.
Families looking to locate missing loved ones, should call 1-866-535-5654.
My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2017