- According to recent reports, Heidi Klum, 46, quietly married Tom Kaulitz, 29, a few months back. The two announced their engagement in December of 2018.
- The lovebirds have been dating since February of 2018. A year later, TMZ reports that they obtained a marriage license.
- Here are seven things to know about Kaulitz, including he’s a member of the German rock band Tokio Hotel, he’s a twin, and he speaks three languages.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Public records suggests that the two obtained a marriage license back in February, and on that same day, TMZ found the couple leaving a dinner date.
Representatives for Heidi Klum didn’t immediately respond to INSIDER’s request for comment.
The love birds, who have a 16-year age difference, sparked a romance back in February of 2018. Less than a year together, Kaulitz popped the question.
The “Making the Cut” hostess told “ET” in February that they had already set a date for the ceremony. She then coyly added, “But you will find out eventually.”
Here are seven things you should know about the man who stole Klum’s heart.
1. Kaulitz was one of the founding members of German rock band, Tokio Hotel. He’s a guitarist, singer-songwriter and keyboardist.
The group successfully transitioned from Europe to the US with their first English-language album, “Scream.” It peaked at No. 5 on Billboard’s alternative albums chart in 2008.
They even won best new artist, beating Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus, at 2008’s MTV VMAs.
Since then, they’ve worked on several other projects. Their 2009 album, “Humanoid,” peaked at No. 11 on Billboard’s alternative albums chart, and they released their sixth studio album, “Dream Machine,” in 2017.
2. He’s a twin.
- Thomas Peter/Reuters
Bill Kaulitz, the lead singer of Tokio Hotel, is actually his twin. Tom was born 10 minutes before Bill.
In an interview in 2007, Tom said that his brother is more like his soul mate.
“We are very different yet alike,” he said. “We don’t look like twins. But we are soul mates. When I look at Bill, I know instantly what he thinks. I can feel it when he has a problem, even if he is not with me. I cannot imagine that I could ever trust a girl like I trust Bill.”
3. He moved to Los Angeles with his brother in 2010.
- Thomas Peter/Reuters
The two left their hometown of Hamburg, Germany to work on music together in LA. A German tabloid, Bild, suspected they moved after a break-in at their home and stalking by fans.
4. Kaulitz is trilingual.
He speaks German, English and French.
5. The 29-year-old was married once before to Ria Sommerfeld, a former German beauty queen.
The two split in 2016 after being married for a little over a year. At the time, they said the break-up was “mutual and amicable.”
Kaulitz finalized the divorce just a few months before he proposed to Klum, according to documents obtained by The Blast.
6. Kaulitz met Klum through “Germany’s Next Top Model” in 2018.
The pair were introduced by a mutual friend on the show, according to US Weekly. Their relationship became official soon after.
They were spotted holding hands and kissing several times, including once on the set of “America’s Got Talent” in Pasadena, California in March, according to US Weekly.
At 2018’s amfAR Gala in Cannes, the love birds made their red carpet debut. The two were all-smiles as they posed together, the supermodel wearing a shimmery silver gown and Kaulitz wearing an all-black suit.
7. He asked Klum’s kids to help with a simple and sweet proposal in 2018.
According to People magazine, a friend of the couple said that when Kaulitz asked Klum’s four children – daughters Lou, 9, and Leni, 14, and sons Johan, 12, and Henry, 13 – for their blessing, they gladly gave it to him.
On Christmas Eve, the kids helped Kaulitz put together a breakfast-in-bed proposal for their supermodel mom.
She then took to Instagram and shared an adorable black and white photo of the couple showing off her ring. She accompanied it with an all-caps caption “I SAID YES.”