- Ty Wright/Getty Images
Christopher Suprun, a Republican who is one of the 538 people tasked with casting electoral votes to officially appoint the next US president, says he will not vote for President-elect Donald Trump.
He’s also urging the Electoral College at large to reject Trump when it convenes on December 19.
In a New York Times op-ed article published on Monday, Suprun argued that Trump had done little to reach beyond his base of supporters since winning the election last month, and he called it troubling that the president-elect had chosen to lean further into the bombast that defined his raucous campaign.
“He does not encourage civil discourse, but chooses to stoke fear and create outrage,” Suprun wrote.
Suprun acknowledged others who had opposed Trump based on his policy positions or his defeat in the popular vote to Democrat Hillary Clinton but said that was not his main rationale. For Suprun’s part, he wrote, “I am asked to cast a vote on Dec. 19 for someone who shows daily he is not qualified for the office.”
Suprun ran through a litany of what he characterized as Trump’s missteps and shortcomings.
He punctuated his argument by saying: “The election of the next president is not yet a done deal. Electors of conscience can still do the right thing for the good of the country.”