- The Riverside County Department of Animal Services released footage it said showed a woman throwing seven 3-day-old puppies into a dumpster behind an auto-parts store in Coachella, California, on Thursday.
- Less than an hour after the puppies were left in the dumpster, a passerby found them and called animal services, the department said.
- The Department of Animal Services, the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department, and the district attorney’s office are looking for the woman on suspicion of animal cruelty.
- Visit INSIDER’s homepage for more stories.
Authorities in California are searching for a woman who they say threw seven 3-day-old puppies into a dumpster behind an auto-parts store in Coachella.
The Riverside County Department of Animal Services shared a video of the incident on Facebook, saying the woman dropped the puppies into a dumpster behind Napa Auto Parts just after 1 p.m. on Thursday.
A passerby found the puppies less than an hour later while rummaging through the trash bin and brought them into the auto shop, the department said.
It said that temperatures hit the mid-90s on Thursday and that if the puppies weren’t saved when they were, they most likely would have died in the heat.
MeoowzResQ, a rescue group in Southern California, has partnered with the department to help foster the puppies and bottle-feed them until they’re old enough to eat on their own, the department said.
John Welsh, an animal-services spokesman, told The Desert Sun that the woman filmed was being sought on suspicion of animal cruelty.
The department said it was working with the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department and the district attorney’s office to find the woman.
Chris Mayer, the animal-services department commander, described the woman’s actions as despicable in the department’s Facebook post.
“There is no excuse for dumping puppies,” Mayer said. “Especially in today’s age when we or other shelters would be willing to get these animals to foster parents or rescue partners. This was a shameful act.”
- Read more:
- You can do Pilates with miniature pigs on this farm in England
- An ‘exhausted’ polar bear turned up in a Russian village 434 miles from its home
- 2 males and a female bald eagle are successfully raising eaglets together in a single nest
- A man was arrested after allegedly swinging an iguana around his head and throwing it at a store manager