Wild Digital, Southeast Asia’s premier digital conference, is known for bringing together the region’s most successful and exciting Internet leaders. Attended by leading tech CEOs, founders, entrepreneurs, senior executives and investors from around the world, Wild Digital explores the trends shaping the industry and discusses strategies for building billion dollar businesses in this space. This year’s conference will be held on May 24th and 25th at Le Meridien, Kuala Lumpur – you can get your ticket here.
Grace Xia is a Senior Director at Tencent, responsible for driving the company’s Asia market investment, strategy and partnership. This high-growth, emerging region boasts a population of over 600 million and is one of the world’s fastest growing internet region. This has attracted the attention of Chinese companies, including Tencent, a member of China’s “BAT” trio of internet giants. Earlier this year Tencent announced a joint venture with Ookbee, a digital entertainment platform, aiming to gather over a million pieces of content over the next three years.
Business Insider sits with Grace leading up to Wild Digital to get an early insight, with our 15 questions series.
1. If you were a superhero, what would your trait or power be?
I believe there is a superhero in all of us. What you need to do is just discover that one unique strength and mission in you that nobody else has.
2. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are 3 things you would bring with you?
My iPhone, extra phone battery and satellite network connector.
3. What are the top 3 apps on your phone?
To live and work in China, I only need one super app: WeChat!
4. If you could tell your 18-year old self one thing, what would it be?
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. So I’d tell my younger self to relax and live in the moment.
5. What would be the title of your autobiography?
A meaningful life
6. Who is your inspiration in the Internet industry, and why?
Masayoshi Son. He demonstrates strategic thinking, risk taking attitude and persistency.
7. What is the most important trait of a successful person?
My definition of success is making impact to society and helping others to reach their full potential. Giving back is the most important trait of a successful person.
8. What is the most exciting thing about your job?
Working with entrepreneurs who want to change the world, and helping them to realize their dream
9. What was the biggest lesson you’ve learnt and how has it impacted the way you work?
Be open minded and patient.
10. Best piece of advice you’ve been given?
An old Chinese proverb: 博学之，审问之，慎思之，明辨之，笃行之。 To learn [from a variety of places], To ask [until you satisfy your desire to learn], To reflect [meticulously], To distinguish [clearly between truth and lies], To manifest [that which you have learnt].
11. What do you look for in a company when deciding on your next investment?
Most importantly the founding team and what drives them
12. What’s the biggest challenge facing the tech industry in SEA today and how do you foresee it getting solved?
Lack of diversified talent pool and exit options. It takes time for the eco-system to be built up and it also takes joint effort from everybody in the tech value chain including investors, big corporations, government, academic institutions etc.
13. What do you think is the hottest vertical in the region right now?
I am excited about digital media sector. Technology has changed the way people communicate and express themselves. Given the diversified culture environment in SEA, I expect to see a lot of innovative products and business models emerging in media sector.
14. What is the most exciting trend emerging in the region right now?
The convergence of media, commerce and technology
15. What are you looking forward to at Wild Digital this year?
This is my first Wild Digital, I look forward to being surprised ☺